Monday, August 18, 2008

What is your favorite podcast?

I am a big fan of NPR and all of their different programs.
One program that offers a free podcast is "Speaking of Faith".
Now that I am so green and ride my bike so much, I can listen to the program.
Last Saturday I listened to the one about Rumi.
They had this beatiful poem that I wanted to share.
It is really beautiful to listen to it. Hope you enjoy.


Like This
translation from Rumi's Divan by Fatemeh Keshavarz


Listen to the Poem If anyone asks you about the huris, show your face, say: like this!
If anyone asks you about the moon, climb up on the roof, say: like this!
If anyone seeks a fairy, let them see your countenance,
If anyone talks about the aroma of musk, untie your hair [and] say: like this!
If anyone asks: "How do the clouds uncover the moon?" untie the front of
Your robe, knot by knot, say: like this!

If anyone asks: "How did Jesus raise the dead?" kiss me on the lips, say:
like this!

If anyone asks: What are those killed by love like?" direct him to me, say:
like this!

If anyone kindly asks you how tall I am, show him your arched eyebrows,
say: like this!

2 comments:

trent_gilliss said...

Producing this program was a great joy, particularly because Fatemeh's reading was so sensual. Her love for Rumi and her unique Persian perspective made me hear Rumi in ways that I hadn't been able to hear while reading him on the page. And to hear it in Persian, well...

Cheers.
Trent, online editor for SOF

Dawn said...

I get perverse pleasure out of "Wait, Wait. Don't tell me" on NPR.

NPR is the best way to travel.