Friday, September 18, 2009

My first quilt!!!


I recently finished my first quilt. I have been yearning to make one ever since I got pregnant
with Noah 6 years ago. (Shit, I'm getting old)
So, my mum was visiting last year and we went to a quilting store. There they had displayed quilts all over the walls and her eyes fell on a pretty Gingko leaf quilt. I promised to make it for her birthday. Then I forgot about it, because she left. But I stumbled upon the pattern recently and started to get cranking on it.

It went awesome for a first quilt. First I picked out the fabric with a nice employee at the store.
That took a good hour with Sophie falling asleep on my back.

Then I started to cut it out immediately at home, so I wouldn't forget what fabric we picked out for what. Next day I cut out the circles and leaves (another hour).
Another day I ironed the fabric stiffener (forgot what that was called, sorry, dedicated quilters...)
on and sewed the leaves on the circles and the cirles on the squares. Another 2 hours.


Then, over the weekend I sewed all the pieces together and that was it. Within a week I was back at the quilt store to pick out the backing. A nice employee offered to do the topstitching for me.
I think I could have done it, but I really didn't want to mess it up, since it is my first one,
and it is as I said for my mum!

I picked it up another week later. Then I worked on the binding; that wasn't bad either.
The blind stitching probably took the most time, but it is so relaxing, it was totally worth it.
I love sewing! It is really relaxing to me and I can do some while the kids are around.
I'm really proud of it and it is gratifying to have something hand-made in my hands.
I'm hoping to give it to my mum in person soon. Don't know exactly when I will see her,
but December at the latest.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Tania, this is amazing! I love it. I'm so proud of you! You did a great job! It makes me want to get back to quilting.

Amy said...

It is gorgeous Tania! You did a great job! We need to get together soon!